Kermit Lynch T-Shirts Now Available
Towering over a boundless panorama of rolling hills and saturated with scents of wild herbs and flowers, the Castagnoli vineyards are a Tuscan paradise. Among the steep, terraced rows of alberello-trained Sangiovese vines, outcrops of layered blue galestro stone peek out from beneath the soil and litter flaky debris all about. And yet the vines seem quite happy growing out of almost pure rock, perhaps thanks to the biodynamic preparations intended to fertilize the land and boost the plant’s immune function. In the cellar, the most basic “technology”—open-top fermentation bins and used barrels—suffices to usher the transformation of grape to wine. Salita is a declassified Chianti Classico from the estate’s most prized parcel, a sun-drenched incline that yields a full-throttle Sangiovese loaded with the flavors of its terroir.
|Vineyard:||9 years average, 6.57 ha|
|Aging:||Wine ages for 18 months in neutral oak barrels|
When buying red Burgundy, I think we should remember:
1. Big wines do not age better than light wine.
2. A so-called great vintage at the outset does not guarantee a great vintage for the duration.
3. A so-called off vintage at the outset does not mean the wines do not have a brilliant future ahead of them.
4. Red Burgundy should not taste like Guigal Côte-Rôtie, even if most wine writers wish it would.
5. Don’t follow leaders; watch yer parking meters.
Inspiring Thirst, page 174
Drinking distilled spirits, beer, coolers, wine and other alcoholic beverages may increase cancer risk, and, during pregnancy, can cause birth defects. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/alcohol
Many food and beverage cans have linings containing bisphenol A (BPA), a chemical known to cause harm to the female reproductive system. Jar lids and bottle caps may also contain BPA. You can be exposed to BPA when you consume foods or beverages packaged in these containers. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/bpa