Crémant d’Alsace Brut Extra
Crémant d’Alsace is often thought of as a bargain alternative to Champagne, and for good reason: at just $25, Meyer-Fonné’s Crémant can satisfy even the most finicky palates. And yet, it would be a mistake to think of this simply as a substitute for a pricier bottle of bubbly—Alsatian sparkling is much more than that, and here’s why:
- Soil: unlike Champagne, where chalk reigns, Alsace is home to a diversity of soil types, each of which lends different characteristics to the wines. Félix Meyer sources his Crémant from primarily granitic soils with alluvial deposits, so while you won’t find that almost gritty chalkiness that characterizes Champagne, you can expect a slightly softer, almost spicy minerality that is just as mouth-watering.
- Climate: Alsace is drier and sunnier than Champagne, thanks to the rain shadow effect from the Vosges. This means healthier grapes and consistent ripeness, so no need for chaptalization in lean years or high dosages to balance out aggressive acidities.
- Grape varieties: the region boasts a palette of cépages that bring an extra aromatic element to its wines. Auxerrois, Chardonnay, Pinot Blanc, and Pinot Noir are responsible for this Crémant’s perfume of flowers and crisp orchard fruit—a real charmer.
- Winemaking and élevage: while also crafted in the méthode champenoise, Meyer’s Crémant spends just one year on its lees prior to disgorgement, much less than is commonly practiced in Champagne. Instead of creamy, leesy brioche notes, you can enjoy the lively fresh fruit nuances of a younger wine.
Meyer’s bone-dry Crémant is no Champagne imitation—it is an entity of its own, and you can bet we’ll be sipping it all summer long. –Anthony Lynch
- Vintage NV
- Bottle Size 750mL
- Blend 60% Pinot Auxerrois, 20% Chardonnay, 15% Pinot Blanc, 5% Pinot Noir
- Appellation Crémant d'Alsace
- Country France
- Region Alsace
- Vineyard Planted in 1972 and 2009
- Soil Granitic Colluvium, Alluvium
- Winemaker François & Félix Meyer
- Farming Lutte Raisonnée
- Alcohol 12%
Featured selections & new arrivals
MORE FROM Alsace OR France